Saturday, February 4, 2012

Typology

Welcome to blog post number four! My Birthday Blog Post! The Final Blog Post!

As much as it may pain all of my amazing fans and required readers...today, I'm going to be very serious. No fun and games. No comedy. This is strictly business.







I know that disappoints many, many people. But you artistic people may soon be singing a new tune, since I am going to be talking about...typology!



So why are we talking about typologies? Well, the other day in my wonderfully joyous photography class, everyone was like "Yo Chris! Start doing some typologies, brother!" and I gave my political response of "If I am elected your representative, I will look investigate the use of typologies in my future work! God Bless America!"

So to begin, we must first google example typologies. Easy enough, I just typed in "typology photography" and started looking through all the images. And what we find is that many of the-

....Oh my God....


Is that....?



YES!!!




Holy crap! There's a person out there that takes pictures of WAR CHICKENS! Or like, chickens that want to pretend they're military generals! Or something like that! This is absolutely amazing! Screw typologies, that's next blog post! This is now officially about chickens!

Or...uh, more professionally, this post is now about Cally Whitham, War Poultry Photographer.



Look, her work may not be exactly what I myself want to make, but dang it, there comes a time when you need to share a photographer with the world, and this is it.

Now looking at her site, she doesn't just do chickens. She shoots other birds, other animals...and she does it with the final pieces looking like paintings. Some may call it gimmicky. I call it genius. I mean, we haven't seen animals acting like realistic people since the black-and-white movie era!






I'm about to post some more example pictures. But I'm going to make it into a little bit of a game. You get to decide which are photographs of a rooster, a duck, and a sheep, and which are portraits of General Patton, General Eisenhower, and General MacArthur. Go!














Well, I bet that was really tough for you to figure out which was which (Hint: The animals all have the name Cally Whitham in the bottom corner). But it should have been tough! All of these pictures show heroic figures. Figures with a face of brimming with confidence. A strong body position, showcasing only the most perfect poise! Light and shadows falling all across the subjects, yet having them stand out against the background!

Honestly, I would totally give up everything if I could make animals look like they led troops in a war. But...I really only have access to a cat. And she's much too cute to make into a war hero. I figure that means I'll just let Cally Whitham stick to what she's doing. I really don't want to steal her idea. Even if her idea wasn't combining Watership Down with Animal Farm with Lord of the Rings, well....that's what I'm imagining.

Now to wrap this up...with Cally being from New Zealand...and this post having a very American war theme....Let us celebrate the glorious country of New Zealand with its national anthem!






Thank you. God Defend New Zealand!


And yeah, sorry to disappoint you looking for typologies. Unless you're reading this months later, you're just going to have sit back and wait!




3 comments:

  1. yes. i am disappointed. :( i really do think you investigating typologies is a great idea, though. it definitely can be a way for you to display something that would look more appropriate in a gallery setting whilst still doing your endeared straight-on, white background, clean product/stock photography.
    with that said...

    http://www.obsessionistas.co.uk/collections/2011/6/24/coffee-cups-0034.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. When do I get to learn about typologies? Next post? Also what is your opinion on whether you should bring a CD or prints to an interview?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those coffee cups are going to look almost like my beer mugs that I plan to do! Except different.

    ReplyDelete